Tuesday, September 9, 2008

80s Vinyls

Hi ya people

I'm a guy from Singapore in my early forties who grew up on the music of the 1980s. Back then, music was released either on cassette tapes or on 7" and 12" vinyl records.

Hence the title of this blog.

I purchased quite a fair bit of records during my teenage years and had stacked them away in one of the cupboards somewhere, not giving much thought to them...

... until about a couple of weeks back. I had just seen my dentist, whose clinic is located at Novena Medical Centre. After the appointment, I took the elevator down to the ground floor of Square 2, and lo and behold, just a few metres away from the lift lobby was none other than *THE ATTIC*!!!

Yup, that's the shop that used to be located at the top floor of Lucky Plaza and was the favourite hangout of many a teenage boy (and girl) who was looking to add the latest 12" hit single to their ever-growing collection.

Anyway, I got to talking to the owner and we started reminiscing about the "good old days". I then told him about how I had given away my turntable some 15 years ago, having made the progressive switch to compact discs. He replied that there were shops still selling turntables and recommended that I checked out Sim Lim Square.

Well, I did, a couple of days back, and sure enough, there was a shop in Sim Lim Square selling turntables, and at a reasonable price of only S$280 for a Denon DP-29F!

So I decided to get one. I got it hooked up to my karaoke amplifier, and as a consequence, those long-forgotten vinyls which would otherwise not have seen the light of day, have suddenly been given a new lease of life, so to speak.

So why this blog then?

Well, first and foremost, I believe there are other like-minded people out there in the blogosphere who also feel that nothing can compare to the music of the 1980s, and this blog is a means to get us all connected.

Secondly, I am sure that we would have our own vinyl collections and this blog can serve as a forum to facilitate the borrowing ane lending, or even buying and selling of those vinyls.

I will be sharing with you guys what my vinyl collection is like, so do stay tuned :-)

1 comment:

Melvin Emmanuel said...

Seems like you are like me with hugh collections of 1980s dance music. Maybe one day we should exchange some goodies?